New Year in Amsterdam 2023 | Top 12 Things to Do, Events, Parties & More!
Amsterdam, the vibrant party capital of the Netherlands, is a sought-after tourist destination for the festive season. Whether you are a party animal, a couple on a romantic getaway, a solo traveler, or a family on holiday - Amsterdam is a great place for celebrating New Year. People come here from around the world to enjoy the New Year’s Eve party scenes, the spectacular fireworks and light displays, the Amsterdam Light Festival, the winter wonderland activities, and indulge in traditional festive delicacies. This page will tell you more about the best ways to celebrate New Year in Amsterdam.
Weather in Amsterdam during New Year’s Eve
Average Temp: 4 °C
- Highest Temp: 6 °C
- Lowest Temp: 2 °C
Chances of Rain: Light showers are expected throughout the day with some chances of snowfall.
What to Wear: It is recommended to wear warm clothing such as woolen wear, jackets, hoodies, sweaters, thick socks, and thin gloves.
What to look out for: New Year’s Eve in Amsterdam is expected to be rainy and sometimes even snowy. Do carry an umbrella or a poncho with you to stay comfortable.
Top 12 Things to do on New Year in Amsterdam
1. Watch Spectacular Fireworks Across Amsterdam
The skies of Amsterdam light up by midnight to welcome the new year with spectacular displays of fireworks seen from rooftops, observatories, panoramic restaurants, and high-rise buildings across the city.
- The fireworks display is the highlight of New Year’s Eve celebrations in Amsterdam.
- Rembrandtplein, Nieuwmarkt, Museumplein, Leidseplein, and Dam Square host the best fireworks and light and sound shows in the city.
8. Enjoy An NYE Meal With A View
Welcome the New Year with spectacular views of the fireworks at midnight while enjoying a festive dinner at a rooftop restaurant. As the year ends, indulge in traditional dishes, special set-menu items, and festive buffets.
10. Party All Night Into The New Year
What better way to ring in the new year than by partying all night at the party capital of the Netherlands? NYE parties are hosted by most clubs, pubs, restaurants, and hotels across the city.
- Drink and dance into the new year at one of the many NYE parties across the city.
- Enjoy drinks, champagne, finger food, and live music performances by some of the finest DJs and musicians, as you welcome the new year.
11. Feast On Festive Delicacies
When in Amsterdam around New Year's Day, do try Dutch festive food including Oliebol - a type of fried dumpling, Duivekater - a sweet and slightly spicy loaf of bread, and Appelbeignet - a dessert of fried apple slices.
- Cafes, restaurants, and street stalls across the city serve festive delicacies such as Oliebollen, Duivekater, and Appelbeignet.
- Hot chocolate, hot wine, prosecco, and different types of alcohol are also quite popular in Amsterdam during the festive season.
12. Go Pub Hopping On New Year’s Eve
Join the Leidseplein Pub Crawl on New Year’s Eve for a long night of drinks, games, prizes, dancing, and partying at 5 different bars and clubs across Amsterdam.
- Enjoy welcome drinks and unlimited Vodka shots for the first 30 Minutes of the Pub Crawl.
- Get free entry to the biggest club in Amsterdam, and enjoy 5 free drinks and more discounted drinks throughout the night.
Parties & Events on New Year’s Eve in Amsterdam
Party Loud at HUSH Silent Disco Club
The Amsterdam Nightlife NYE Party is returning to HUSH Nightclub this year featuring DJ Smash & MC Aries, and more. The popular silent dance club is going to party out loud this New Year’s Eve, with a headphone-free dance floor playing Eclectic, Urban, RnB, World & House-Music.
Location: Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 81, 1017 NH Amsterdam, Netherlands | Find on map
Q-Factory’s Amsterdam Nightlife NYE Festival
Europe’s largest music center, Q-Factory, is bringing back the Amsterdam Nightlife NYE Festival after a break of 2 years. The celebrations start with a New Year’s Eve buffet and go on to a wild party with the best of Eclectic, Urban, Afro House, Pop & World music featuring some of Amsterdam’s finest DJs and MCs.
Location: Atlantisplein 1, 1093 NE Amsterdam, Netherlands | Find on map
NYE Party With a Big Bang at Big Bang!
Welcome the New Year with a big bang at the New Year’s Eve Party organized by Amsterdam Nightlife at De Oerknal (Big Bang)! The party - complete with fire pits, BBQ, music, and drinks - hits off with a BBQ buffet and pre-party, followed by an outdoor music fest, some champagne, and fireworks at midnight.
Location: Eetcafé Oerknal, Science Park 306, 1098 XH Amsterdam, Netherlands | Find on map
Party in the Heart of Amsterdam at Akhnathon
YS Events is bringing DJs Sayil, Kraze, Hacke & Peter to Akhnathon, to party at the heart of the city, this New Year’s Eve. Dance into the New Year to the beats of Deep, Progressive, and Electro House music, and welcome 2023 with a glass of champagne at this crazy party!
Location: Nieuwezijds Kolk 25, 1012 PV Amsterdam, Netherlands | Find on map
Pasar Makan NYE Party at Hotel Jakarta
Hotel Jakarta, Amsterdam, has a variety of events lined up to ring in the new year. You will be welcomed with a glass of champagne and canapés to an Indonesian-style Food Market serving some delectable Asian food, followed by a night-long party featuring a dance floor, live cooking stations, unlimited drinks, a silent disco, and more.
Location: Javakade 766, 1019 SH Amsterdam, Netherlands | Find on map
Plan Your New Year in Amsterdam
- Bus: Buses will not be running in Amsterdam from 8 P.M. on the 31st of December till 1 A.M. on the 1st of January. Night buses will be running in Amsterdam from 1.30 A.M. on New Year’s Day.
- Train: NS Railways will not be operating from 8 P.M. on New Year’s Eve till 1 A.M. on New Year’s Day, after which the nightly service trains will be operational.
- Metro: Metro services in Amsterdam stop by 8 P.M. on the 31st of December, until the next morning.
- Tram: Trams will not be functioning after 8 P.M. on New Year’s Eve until the morning of New Year’s Day.
- Ferry: The Buiksloterwegveer ferry connecting Amsterdam Centraal and Amsterdam North is the only ferry service that will be continuously operational from the 30th of December till the 2nd of January.
Price per night for 2 guests in a room
- Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Arena Atlas: from $265
- Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - North Riverside: from $274
- Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam: from $452
- DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station: from $472
- Radisson Blu Hotel - Amsterdam City Center: from $590
- Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - a Concept by Hyatt: from $831.22
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam Luxury Hotel & Spa by Hilton: from $1133
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam: from $1198
Tips for Celebrating New Year in Amsterdam
- Make your hotel bookings well in advance as hotels across the city get fully booked during the festive season, weeks before the New Year.
- While making your hotel bookings, you may be asked to book the place for a minimum of 2 or 3 days during the festive season.
- Tickets for New Year parties and concerts in Amsterdam tend to sell out soon, so make sure you book yours soon enough.
- Note that all public transport in Amsterdam stops operating at 8 P.M. on the 31st of December, until the next morning.
- You may have to pre-book tables at pubs and restaurants, owing to larger crowds, especially if the place is hosting a New Year party or festive dinner.
- Most museums and tourist attractions in Amsterdam remain open on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Although bear in mind, you may have to pre-book a timeslot.
- As the crowds are more during the festive season, you are advised to buy all entry tickets online, days or weeks in advance, so you may skip the line and ensure entry.
- Drinks and dishes at restaurants, cafes, and pubs may be priced higher than listed on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Frequently Asked Questions About Celebrating New Year's Eve in Amsterdam
Taking a dip in the Zandvoort aan Zee, watching a drag show, and visiting museums are a few of the off-beat things to do on New Year in Amsterdam.
Visiting the winter wonderlands to play at the carnival, skate on ice, and have festive sweets is the best thing to do in Amsterdam with kids on New Year. Efteling is another place that promises great fun for kids and adults alike. You can also watch the fireworks and enjoy the Amsterdam Light Festival with kids.
Yes, Amsterdam is comparatively very crowded during New Year.
Most parts of Amsterdam, except the area around Red Light District, are safe during New Year. Although, beware of pickpockets in crowded areas.
The Amsterdam Nightlife NYE Party at HUSH Silent Disco Club, the LIT NYE 2023 at Silverdome Zoetermeer, Q-Factory’s Amsterdam Nightlife NYE Festival, the New Year’s Eve Party at Oerknal (Big Bang), the NYE party at Akhnathon, the Pasar Makan NYE Party at Hotel Jakarta, the NYE Party @ The Market, and the Bakka’Na Owru Yari Festival 2022 are some of the best events and parties on New Year’s Eve in Amsterdam.
Rembrandtplein, Nieuwmarkt, Museumplein, Leidseplein, and Dam Square host the best New Year fireworks in the city.
It is winter in Amsterdam around New Year. The average temperature ranges from 2 °C to 6 °C, with light showers and some snowfall expected throughout the day.
All means of public transportation will stop operations from 8 P.M. on New Year’s Eve until the morning of New Year’s Day. Night buses and nightly service trains will be running from 1.30 A.M. and 1 A.M. on New Year’s Day, respectively.
The New Year fireworks are best viewed from Mr. Porter at the W Hotel, Moon or Madam in the A’DAM Tower, Canvas at the Volkshotel, Floor17 at the Leonardo Hotel, and the SkyLounge at the Hilton Doubletree.
Some of the best budget hotels to stay at during New Year in Amsterdam include the Mercure Hotel, Courtyard by Marriott, and the Holiday Inn Express. In the mid-range, there is the Park Plaza Victoria, the DoubleTree by Hilton, and the Radisson Blu Hotel. Amsterdam also offers a few high-end luxury accommodation options during New Year including the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam Luxury Hotel & Spa, and the InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam.
While in Amsterdam, you can enjoy a festive dinner on New Year’s Eve at Barça, Café Restaurant De Kroon, or Hotel Okura Amsterdam. Some of the best places to have the first brunch of the New Year are Conservatorium Hotel, NENI Amsterdam, and Hotel Arena.