Best Ways to Reach the Van Gogh Museum | Public Transport, Car, & More
Where is Van Gogh Museum Located?
Address: Museumplein 6, 1071 DJ Amsterdam, Netherlands
Situated On: The Museum Square is only a 3-minute walk away from the Van Gogh Museum. It houses many other museums like the Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark, and the Concertgebouw. If you reach Museumplein via any public transport, you can walk to the museum.
Getting to the Van Gogh Museum by Public Transport
Best For: Budget travelers
Travel time: 33 mins from the Amsterdam Schipol Airport
Closest stop: Museumplein, Leidseplein, Concertgebouw
Timings: Daily buses in Amsterdam run from 6 AM to 12:30 AM. After 12:30 AM, you can avail of the night buses to get around the city.
Description: You can board bus number 397 going towards AMS Elandsgracht and get down at Concertgebouw, a 4-minute walk from the Van Gogh Museum. You can also board any of the other buses between 305, 314, 41, 65, and 852 and reach Museumplein, Leidseplein, Concertgebouw, Ferdinand Bolstraat, or Vijzelgracht, all 8-minute walks from the museum. Also, Bus 347 in the direction of Uithoorn can help you reach the Van Gogh Museum directly from Amsterdam Central.
By Tram and Light Rail
Best For: Travelers with a limited budget
Travel time: 16 minutes from the Amsterdam Central railway station
Closest station: Museumplein and Van Baerlestraat
Timings: The earliest tram timings are 6 AM during the weekdays and 7 AM during the weekend to nearly midnight.
Description: Tram numbers 3, 5, or 12 can also take you to Museumplein. If you board the tram at Amsterdam Railway Station, it will take you around 16 to 20 minutes to reach Museumplein. De-board at Museumplein to reach the Van Gogh Museum, as it is just a minute's walk from the station. You can also board 12, 2, or 5 light rail trains and reach Van Baerlestraat, a 4-minute walk from the museum, or Spiegelgracht, an 8-minute walk from the museum.
Best For: Travelers short on time
Travel time: 16 minutes from the Amsterdam Central railway station
Nearest station: De Pijp station
Timings: The earliest metro service starts at 5:30 AM on weekdays, 6:30 AM on Saturdays, and 07:30 AM on Sundays and other holidays.
Description: You can hop on the metro number 52 from the Amsterdam Central Railway Station until you reach De Pijp Station. Also, you can board Tram 12 in the direction of Central Station or Tram 3 in the direction of Zoutkeetsgracht. It is a 1-minute walk from Museumplein to the Van Gogh Museum.
Best For: People who are looking to save time
Travel time: 4 minutes
Nearest station: Vijzelgracht
Timings: Trains run quite frequently. If you miss a train, you can rest easy knowing that the next one would arrive in 10 minutes. Typically, they run from 6:30 AM to 12:30 AM every day throughout the year.
Description: One of the most affordable ways to reach the Van Gogh Museum is using a train that departs every 10 minutes from Amsterdam Central Railway Station for Vijzelgracht. You can choose between IC and SPR trains.
Getting to the Van Gogh Museum by Car
Travel Time: 24 minutes from the Amsterdam Schipol Airport
- When traveling directly to the Van Gogh Museum from the airport, head northwest towards Koepelstraat. Continue down that road until you reach Handelskade.
- From there, you have to turn right onto Energiestraat. After that, turn left onto the ramp to Westelijke Randweg. Keep a lookout for signs that show the way toward Schipol Noord or Schipol Oost.
- Turn left on the A4 and merge with Haarlem or Utrecht. Continue onto A10 and take exit 8 for s108 toward Oud Zuid.
- Then, you have to turn left onto Amstelveenseweg. Continue onto De Lairessestraat. From Concertgebouwplein, continue toward Paulus Potterstraat. You will see the Van Gogh Museum.
- Museumplein Bus Q- Park: Located around 250 meters from the museum, the Q-Park Museumplein is a 3-minute walk from the attraction and hence quite convenient to the visitors. It costs you nearly €30 to get parking there.
- Parking Museum Quarter: Situated 550 meters from the Van Gogh Museum is Parking Museum Quarter. You only have to walk around 6 to 7 minutes to reach the attraction.
- Johannes Vermeerstraat 2 Parking: The parking spot is located at a 300-meter distance from the Van Gogh Museum, and one needs to walk around 5 minutes to reach the artistic wonder.
- Parkhaus: It is only around 50 to 70 meters away from the museum. You can choose this parking spot as it is only a minute away from the attraction.
- WeParc- Rembrandtplein Car Park: Located at a distance of 1.6km, this parking space is around 15 minutes away from the Van Gogh Museum. It costs nearly €20 to €40 to park there.
Book Van Gogh Museum Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions About Getting to the Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum is located on Museumplein 6, 1071 DJ Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
The Van Gogh Museum, with all its meticulously curated exhibitions and interactive multimedia displays, is located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
You can board any bus between 305, 314, 347, 397, 41, 65, and 852, and reach Museumplein, Leidseplein, Concertgebouw, Ferdinand Bolstraat, or Vijzelgracht, all 8-minute walks from the museum.
Using public transportation like a bus or a train is the most convenient and budget-friendly way to reach the Van Gogh Museum. You can either board a bus between 347, 397, or 314 to reach Vijzelgracht or Museumplein, walk to the museum, or board a tram between 3, 5, or 12 to reach Museumplein.
The fastest way to get to the Van Gogh Museum is using a tram service from Amsterdam Central Railway station. Tram numbers 3, 5, or 12 can take you to Museumplein. You can also board 12, 2, or 5 light rail trains and reach Van Baerlestraat, a 4-minute walk from the museum, or Spiegelgracht, an 8-minute walk from the museum.
The closest bus stop to Van Gogh Museum is Museumplein, a 4-minute walk from the attraction. The Leidseplein, Concertgebouw, Ferdinand Bolstraat, and Vijzelgracht are also only 6 to 8 minutes away from the Museum.
Museumplein and Van Baerlestraat are two of the closest train stations near the Van Gogh Museum, only around 4 minutes away from the attraction.
Yes, there are parking facilities near the Van Gogh Museum. Some of them are Parking Museum Quarter, Johannes Vermestraat 2 Parking, Q-Park Museumplein Car Park, Parkhaus, and others.
Amsterdam is quite pedestrian-friendly, making it an ideal city to explore on foot. If you begin walking from the Amsterdam Central Station, you can reach the Van Gogh Museum in around 30 to 36 minutes. If you do not feel like walking the whole stretch, take a tram or bus, get down at Museumplein, and walk for around 4 minutes to reach the Van Gogh Museum.